Our prices range from $225-$300. This is based on temperament, how friendly the babies are, quality, health, and color. All deposits are deducted from the price. Facially marked pinto's are generally more, and albino's and cinnicot's are normally less.
Individuals must understand and agree to the care and handling that a hedgehog needs. Some important factors include, but are not limited to:
1) I understand and agree that hedgehogs are nocturnal animals and should be left to sleep during the day and should not be woken up.
2) I understand and agree that hedgehogs MUST be kept at temperature's in between 73-80 to avoid hibernation.
3) I understand and agree that all animals get dirty including hedgehogs. I agree to only bath my hedgehog when absolutely necessary, no more than twice a month, and to properly check and trim my hedgehogs toenails when needed.
4) I understand and agree that hedgehogs need to be fed a high quality diet that should consist of high protein, low fat cat food, fresh fruits and vegetables, cooked unseasoned meats, and live insects from a pet store.
5) I understand and agree that hedgehogs have their own personality, and you must realize you will get poked, the hedgehog may bite, and your hedgehog may be grumpy one day and nice the next.
6) I understand and agree that all animals do get sick or injured and this includes hedgehogs and that you must agree to take him/her to a licensed veterinarian that deals with and treats exotic pets.
7) I understand and agree to the fact that NPH does NOT sell hedgehogs from breeding purposes to individuals and families.
8) I understand that my deposit is Non-Refundable if I choose not to get the hedgehog I reserved.9) I understand if I can not get a hedgehog when I place a deposit, I will remain on our deposit list, but I will be placed at the end of the list when when I contact NPH again. This is to make it fair to others who have placed deposits after me.
10) I understand and agree that I must contact NPH in the event that I can no longer care for or keep my hedgehog. This is to ensure the hedgehog either comes back to NPH or that we may help to find the proper, experienced home.
11) I understand and agree that a hedgehog needs his cage and items in his cage thoroughly cleaned and disinfected once a week.
12) I understand and agree that a hedgehog needs exercise and that a proper wheel will be purchased for him/her.
If you should decide that a hedgehog is not the right pet for you after it has been in your care, or it is just not working out, we will offer the following refunds:
First 7 days of actual ownership - 50% of purchase price (this does not include the deposit which is non-refundable regardless)
Day 7 - Day 14 of actual ownership - 25% of purchase price
We will not offer a refund past 2 weeks of purchase. Please note, this refund does not apply to a hedgehog that is not returned in the same condition from which it was purchased. Examples would include illness, weight loss, intentional injury, and injury from another pet.
If you decide that a hedgehog is not the right pet for you after the 2 weeks or a couple months down the road, NP Hedgehogs must be contacted. You are not allowed to sell the hedgehog without contacting us first.
If you purchased your hedgehog from another breeder or a pet store and can no longer keep it, we can take it in as a rescue and find a suitable home. Please contact us if you need our assistance.
Getting your Hedgehog
After you have placed your deposit, and your baby is weaned, or your young/adult hedgehog is ready to go, we will contact you regarding pick-up or delivery of your new hedgehog. You will have 7 days from the time your baby is weaned to get your hedgehog. The 7 day rule also applies to young/adult hedgehogs. If 7 days goes by and your hedgehog is still here, you forfeit your deposit, and your hedgehog will be available to the next person on our list. It is your responsibility to make arrangements to get him/her.
For Babies - You have 7 days to get your new baby hedgehog from the date they are weaned
For Young/Adults - You have 7 days to get him/her from the date you make the deposit
We have and often do deliver our hedgehogs and also meet individuals part way to make it easier to obtain your new pet and so that we have the opportunity to meet you in person if you can't drive all the way here. We only offer delivery within a couple hours from where we are located.
Delivery prices often goes by the current gas prices at that time, but may also go by standard federal mileage rates are we see fit. If we are delivering more than one hedgehog to your area, we will often give a reduced rate. If you are looking to have us meet you, please contact us for a quote. We do not offer refunds on delivery if you choose to return your hedgehog.
Please Note - The delivery we offer is a convenience. We are under no obligation to get your new hedgehog to you. This is still your responsibility even if we choose not to offer delivery to you.
At this time, we do not offer shipping.
We at Northern Plains Hedgehogs, guarantees to the best of our knowledge, that all hedgehogs are healthy and have no apparent diseases at the time of purchase. We guarantee that all hedgehogs are healthy for up to 30 days from the date of pick-up against all pre-existing health problems that were present before the hedgehog left our home. This guarantee does not apply to any hedgehogs that are not bred from our breeding herd.
Northern Plains Hedgehogs gives a lifetime guarantee for all hedgehogs bred from our breeding herd, against Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome (aka: WHS). WHS is a genetic disorder which could arise later in life, even though it was not detectable at the time of purchase. We strive to prevent WHS and other genetic diseases in our hedgehogs, by breeding responsibly. However, the occasional defect may occur despite our best efforts.